Sunday 27 August 2017

The Lord who protects.

The day before yesterday, I boarded a taxi at the taxi park near my work place. It was about 7.50pm.
The driver said ‘one-chance’, meaning, just one more passenger to fill up the taxi. I was glad, knowing I won’t have to wait for the cab to fill up and I would get home sooner. As soon as the vehicle started moving, the guy beside me started exclaiming that some hoodlums had taken/stolen his bag which contained his money and phone. 


He said he is a student and was really gesticulating with his hands on his head and sounded quite hysterical. The lady in the front seat started comforting him and the other two male passengers beside him were equally giving him advice. 

Immediately, my antenna went up. This is another way these scammers/ritualist /kidnappers in Abuja behave. It is believed that once the neutral passenger, (in this case me), is asked a question and he/she answers, the unfortunate individual becomes hypnotized. He/She may be asked to withdraw all his money from an ATM and give them. Or he may be kidnapped and ransomed. Worse, the person may be killed and the body parts used for money rituals. Only a few people have lived to tell these tales.

 I called my husband immediately and in low tones told him about the situation, and he also affirmed that I had entered a ‘one chance’ and I needed to get out as soon as possible.
Image result for girl afraid with phone
photo credit: Yahoo Finance
So I started plotting my escape, luckily I was seated next to the door. I remembered the driver had insisted on helping me shut the door from outside, so I was really scared that he had locked it such that I wouldn’t be able to open it from inside. I then tried to open the door a little; while the driver was driving…driving rather fast…as though he wanted to get to the lonely places fast!  It proved difficult and I was getting panicky.

All the while the guy was still being hysterical beside me and the passengers were giving him attention.

I then thought, if I can’t open the door, perhaps I can scream to other passing vehicles through the window for help. I aimed for the window and to my uttermost dismay, it was wound up shut. The winder proved very stiff to turn.

 ‘I know I will live a long life’, I thought. ‘I am not ready to die today, I am a mother and a wife...No no no.’

 I quickly said the prayer to my Guardian angel... (all this went through my mind in like 10 secs).Then with all the grit I could muster, while the guy was oblivious to my frantic window opening efforts, due to his hysterics, I forced down the winder and the window rolled down with a gust of wind that blew my wig backwards! I caught it before it flew too far and shoved it inside my handbag. I tried the door again and this time it opened slightly.
 ‘Phew!’ I thought.

We had gone now about 2km and I started thinking the best place to stop. It was quite dark and I couldn’t make out the bus stops very well.

Suddenly, from the side of my eyes, I saw the hysterical guy lean over, past the male passenger beside him to the other male passenger near the other door. This proved to me that they were all in cahoots! What can a ‘stranger’ in a vehicle who claims to have lost his bag be talking to another person in low tones about, this time no longer hysterical. For all I know they were deciding that it’s time to either hypnotize or get me unconscious. Now I knew I had to leave immediately.

 I screamed, ‘driver stop here”! “I forgot something I have to go back”, while rushing out through the door. I gave him a little more than his fare and rushed away to the other side.

Looking around, I realized I had alighted at a place quite far from where taxis waited for passengers, and had to walk back to a good junction where I could get another cab. I didn’t mind the walk, I was just lucky to have left alive.

 I called my husband immediately and told him I had ‘escaped’. Though I thanked God for saving me, I kept telling my husband how tired I was of these situations. You see, God have saved me from these scammers about 3 times this year alone! Each incident with their unique scamming tales.The other two incidents happened in the day time.
 I kept thinking, I just want my own  car! God when will you bless me with my Toyota Matrix? Can it be sooner Lord?

So in my shaky state I got another cab quite easily, and this time I described to my husband, and to the drivers hearing the kind of taxi I entered and my position, as a front seat passenger. The driver said I should relax and he is in his words ‘a free man’. He said he heard my conversation and nothing would happen to me. I wasn’t totally relaxed until at different other junctions ahead, he picked up other passengers. I gave my husband 5 minutes reports of my location till I got home.

Later that night, just before bed, while thanking God for saving me yet again, I was inspired by the Holy Spirit to check out some scriptures on God protecting us.

Scriptures on Gods guidance and protection.
    1. 2 Thessalonians 3:3  But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.(My favourite)

    1. Ofcourse the very popular Psalm 91:3-16

    1. 1 Samuel 2:9  He will guard the feet of His faithful ones; but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness

    1. Psalm 18:31-32 For who is God, but the Lord? And who is a rock except our God? The God who girded me with strength and made my way safe

    1. Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble

    1. Psalm 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies; you stretch out your hand, and your right hand delivers me.

    1. Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and staff, they comfort me.

    1. Jeremiah 15:20-21 They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail over you, for I am with you to save you and deliver you, says the Lord. I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked, and redeem you from the grasp of the ruthless.

    1. Isaiah 46:4 I am your God, and will take care of you until you are old and your hair is grey. I made you and will care for you, I will give you help and rescue you.

    1. Psalm 118:6-7 The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid .What can man do to me? The Lord is with me, He is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies.

    1. Proverb 18:10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.

    1. Psalm 48:14 For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even unto death.
Action Plan; Personalize the protection prayer of Psalm 91.


4 comments:

  1. God our protector,our refuge and defence.May he keep us safe always from the snares of the wicked.we shall not be victims of circumstance. And to u dear blogger, speedily d Lord will grant ur request, that Toyota matrix u will own,soon enough,u will be amazed how fast it happened.just believe. I thank God for your testimony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ebehi I had no idea you had started blogging. This is an absolutely beautiful read. The name of the Lord is indeed a strong tower. Thank God for his protection... And providence - that car is already on its way to you. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Thanks for the encouragement dear Viv! Indeed the Lord protects.

      Delete